Thursday, September 13, 2012

Lit Analysis Readings

For my Lit Review Analysis, I did Morrison, Song of Solomon and Wordsworth, "Tintern Abbey". I have to say that they were interesting readings. I liked how they were able to compare the literature to what we have been learning in class and how that relates to us. Many of the books that I read, I am able to relate to them in some ways, but not in a modern sense. Learning more about digital culture and how it has been around for a long time, it has taught me that we have been exposed but not aware of the world that we live in.

In a way these blogs and Lit Analysis Readings have opened my eyes to what we are surrounded by. In the Morrison, Song of Solomon reading, I liked how there was a comparison to an article that I read in my American Post Modernism Lit class on "Death of the Author". I found it fascinating that Morrison felt that she went against the beliefs of "Death of the Author". The article states that when a writer writes a book, they are killing themselves because their books can be interpreted in different ways. But Morrison felt that because she is around, she can explain herself about certain situations. I also enjoyed how there was a reference to the death of favorite character and how people hated reading it. But Morrison stated (paraphrasing) that if it were a minor character, then the audience wouldn't care as much. It was overall a fascinating read.

With my fictional book, I am going to do Howl's Moving Castle. I have read this book several times in my youth and have always felt a connection to the Protagonist, Sophie. She is a quiet girl that grew up surrounded by people telling her what to do. She didn't have a voice. The issue that she had was a identity issue. When her father passed away, her family was split apart. One sister was sent to be a apprentice of a Baker, and the other a witch. Sophie, because she was the oldest, inherited her father's shop. While working in the shop she loses herself in the life that she did not create for herself. She meets a witch that transforms her into a old woman. From then on, she lives her life to the fullest. This is about an avatar that many of us create and live our lives through them. She creates a identity that no one really knows her by and her true personality comes out. She is not that timid girl that I read earlier in the book. But this is a just a touch of the book. I wish to do a closer reading on it.

The book and the movie varies a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment