Thursday, November 8, 2012

My love of Goodreads

Before this class I saw Goodreads on facebook and signed up for it a while ago, but never used it to keep track of the books I read. Ever since this class, I am completely invested in using the site. It is a great site that helps you to achieve goals. For this year, I committed to read 20 books before the end of the year. It's not a lot, but considering that I do not get much time to read, it's a lot. I am able to find new books that are interesting and fun. One book I found was called. Miss. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar children. When I first saw the book on Goodreads, I admit, I judged the cover. I read through the reviews, and saw that it was interesting and scary (all because of the pictures). Finally I was able to acquire the book through the library and found the book fascinating. This book reminds me of the books I used to read when I was in middle school. It has actual creepy photographs inside. Instead of the author writing the book and having someone illustrate the pictures, it is the complete opposite. He used the pictures and wrote a story based off of it. I feel like this relates to the digital culture. Creating a new way to tell a story, as well as exploring new options by exposing ourselves to a new world of books. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9460487-miss-peregrine-s-home-for-peculiar-children

Along these lines I began to think of new ways to tell stories. Books are great, but some times it feels like people have been telling the same story in different ways, and there needs to be new options in the way of telling story. I feel like there needs to be new creativity that needs to be exposed in this world. I do not know if someone has created this yet, but I have been listening to the news about teachers selling ideas on the internet for other teachers to use in their classroom. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/ so why not create a website for authors to sell to other authors on ideas. The more that we share these ideas, the more options there will be and possibly an increase in readership.

No comments:

Post a Comment